Day 59 - Final Day on the European Mainland

Saturday 23rd August 2014

The final day in Europe is dry and windy. We get our heads down and fly down the highway to Rotterdam where we board the P&O ferry for the trip to Hull. It's a bleak and increasingly industrialised landscape, and I am not tempted to stop and take any photographs. The tour is over and we just want to get home and rest up.

We have a few beers on the boat and then sleep for England.

It is sadly ironic that after 40 or more border crossings in the EU the most time-consuming is always returning to Great Britain. We queue and slowly shuffle forward. For the first time I am asked to remove my flip-up helmet completely so my country can decide if I am me. At least this time we are not pulled for a search as we were last year. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11 - The Eagles Nest

Day 26 - Farewell Transfăgărășan

Day 28 - Bran Castle